I was feeling creative this weekend. I wanted chicken pizza, but I also wanted Greek food, so I just decided to mix the two. Since I’m still following a slow-carb diet, I used a whole wheat low-carb tortilla instead of the pita, which wasn’t bad. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh chicken, cubed (I used boneless skinless thighs)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- pinch dried mint leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 pieces whole wheat pita bread (I get mine at Trader Joe’s)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, cored and diced
- Place olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, mint, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Let sit while preparing chicken.
- Cube chicken and add to marinade mixture. Let sit for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet, then add chicken mixture. Fry until liquid is absorbed. Remove chicken with slotted spoon, leaving oil in pan.
- Sauté onion and pepper in oil until translucent.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly brush pitas with olive oil. Top with mozzarella, onions and peppers, chicken souvlaki, olives, feta, and tomatoes.
- Bake on pizza stone until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
To round out the meal, serve with crudités and hummus.