I always liked Cream of Wheat cereal growing up, but we didn’t have it very often. And while we’ve been raising our kids, we’ve usually opted for hot cereals that I could buy in bulk, since they end up much cheaper. But this week I found that our local WinCo sells Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Farina in bulk, so I bought some to see how it compares. Turns out it tastes just like I remember, for pennies per serving.
I originally wanted to cook it in the Instant Pot, like I do with all of the other cooked cereals, but in doing a little investigating, that seems to lead to lumps. And since it takes less than 5 minutes to make it the traditional way, there’s really no point in dirtying the Instant Pot.
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white wheat farina
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in cereal, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 3 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add butter, sugar, and milk, and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Serve warm.