This is truly comfort food on a cold winter evening. And with the Instant Pot, the whole thing can be done in an hour.
- 3 pounds smoked pork shanks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds split peas
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Melt butter in pot on sauté setting. Add onion and sauté until softened.
- Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Continue to sauté for another minute. Add carrots and celery and sauté for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pot with 1/2 cup stock.
- Add split peas, pork shanks, and remaining stock. Use the manual function to cook on maximum pressure for 15 minutes.
- After cooking completes, allow pressure to natural release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove pork shanks and set aside. Give soup a few quick stirs to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove meat from pork shanks, chop, and return to soup.
- Serve warm.