This is a copycat version of the Olive Garden restaurant soup. It’s another great recipe for cold weather, especially served with fresh, homemade rolls.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mild Italian sausage, without casing
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 5 large russet potatoes, washed, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, chopped and stems removed
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Melt butter in pot on sauté setting. Add onion and sauté until softened.
- Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Continue to sauté for another minute. Add carrots and celery and sauté for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pot with 1/2 cup stock.
- Add split peas, pork shanks, and remaining stock. Use the manual function to cook on maximum pressure for 15 minutes.
- After cooking completes, allow pressure to natural release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove pork shanks and set aside. Give soup a few quick stirs to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove meat from pork shanks, chop, and return to soup.
- Serve warm.