When we did our Christmas in Bethlehem dinner, I needed some kind of bread to go with it. Barley is probably more traditional than wheat, so I went with this recipe.
- 1 cup barley flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine barley flour, honey, yeast, and water in mixing bowl. Let this sponge sit for 20 minutes until small bubbles begin to appear on the surface.
- Add all-purpose flour, salt, and olive oil. Stir together just until a shaggy dough begins to form. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough onto counter and knead for 10 minutes until it becomes smooth.
- Place in well oiled bowl, cover, and let rest for an hour.
- Divide dough into 12 even pieces. Shape each into a ball by rolling between hands. Let rounds rest while preheating oven to 400ºF.
- Place an empty baking sheet or baking stone into oven. Roll each piece of dough into a 6-inch circle. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Quickly place rounds onto the hot baking sheet or stone. Bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.