Most of the kids at my house love to douse every Mexican meal with taco sauce, but at $2.50 and up for a 7 ounce bottle, I just couldn’t keep us supplied. A little googling uncovered a few recipes for inspiration, and this is what I settled on. It makes about a quart, which lasts us two weeks or so.
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato purée
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place all ingredients in sauce pan and stir will to combine.
- Simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool. Store in a quart jar in the refrigerator.