My wife and I love Indian food, but most of the recipes I’ve tried at home haven’t come out nearly as good as what we can get at the restaurant, so I usually don’t bother. She finally talked me into trying this one, and although butter chicken isn’t one of my favorites (it’s at the milder end of the spectrum), this turned out really well.
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup butter or ghee
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting and melt butter.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, and spices to butter. Stir frequently until onions are soft, then turn off.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, and tomato sauce. Pressure cook on high for 7 minutes. When finished, turn off and perform a quick release.
- Stir in heavy cream. Set to sauté again and simmer for 2 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and scallions. Serve with basmati rice or Jeera Rice.